Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Saturday Aug. 19, 2006 - Year 4, Day 151 - chop & slice

13C/55F, enough breeze to make waves on the lagoon but not enough for surfing; Gusta continues in heat to the happy howls of males who make our walk entertaining; it seems the usual collection of walkers & joggers are elsewhere

sometimes for me (perhaps others feel it too) there are moments where proportions are blown off the chart; this can happen for many reasons – always easy to see when looking back months or years, less easy to decipher in the moment, 10 seconds after the moment or even the following day

I mean those moments where things go off track, way off track, unexpectedly & often without any immediate or clear understanding as to why

was it me, was it him, was it something else? was it her, was it bad karma, was it bad chemistry, was it something not cooked right or just the timing of events?

chop & slice are words of cooking, of a playful kitchen; also they have many connotations as do the words knee & jerk

‘We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are.’ – Anias Nin

I’ve always enjoyed this quote from Nin; I think I understand it much better now; in part for mulling lessons of Gladwell’s ‘Blink’ together with my own tummy-sense; sometimes it is time for knee & jerk to combine, sometimes it is just a clarity about things that will work, things that will not – the rest uncertain but we must ‘slice the moment’ to make choices

since reading Blink, yesterday was the first time I consciously made an immediate ‘no, this person is someone I don’t wish to continue getting to know’; just as Gladwell observes these slice the moment moments are so intuitive – that we must listen to them – they are harbingers of the future; listening to them spares wasted time & wounded time so easily, so reliably

my belly is becoming a better listener, I am seeing better with my ears, feeling wiser at moments & the complete bumbling fool at others

my day ended yesterday with a serendipitous connection with someone

if I listen to Gladwell, if I listen to Nin . . this could be at least interesting, at best a stupendous blend of flavours to savour

perhaps thin slices, gently sauteed, hmmm

I await chopping & slicing to see what delights – culinary & otherwise – emerge; a slice the moment kind of moment, I am sure Gladwell would approve

Mark
341,308

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?