Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

Saturday July 15, 2006 - Year 4, Day 116 - no sibling rivalry



14C/57F, sunny; lots of dogs dragging owners around the circuit; one huge guy trying to talk logically to a miniature poodle was amusing – like yuppies trying to reason with a petulant toddler in a shopping mall

rest & sleep & slow start - moving slow, thinking slow, thinking about family matters

family matters – 2 words – not enough can be said, told, explained, 2 words; family does matter; an only child, I have no sense of sibling relationships - I cannot lose any because I do not have any; being 1st, last & only - a felling I know well

I have 2 daughters, they understand things I never can; they understand having siblings, knowing siblings, sibling rivalry, being close to siblings, being distant from siblings, fighting with siblings, playing with siblings, loving siblings

when I meet others who share ‘only child’ status, we usually connect immediately – some kind of bond, some kind of mutual understanding about the solitude one enjoys/endures at different moments & no understanding of sibling rivalry

HK (my dad) seems not to be mourning his sister Lenora as much as adjusting to a new feeling;
youngest of 12 he was the last born; now nearly 84, he is the last standing - unfamiliar territory; she died the other day after spending 14 yrs. (dementia long ago eroded her ability to know anyone) in a nursing home; I'll lunch with him tomorrow & we’ll talk about the solitude, now that we have something new in common . . we are both without siblings; being 1st, last & only; a felling I know well - maybe I can

happy 51st to KK … hope you have a great holiday with your family; I imagine the time your son spends with his grandfather will be precious & enjoy; you work incredibly hard & manage a busy practice but I know every time you are ‘unavailable’ it is because you are off somewhere demonstrating that family matters

it was a clear calm night; friend for the roster to be sure, but neither of us witnessed lightning strikes as parka-babe (in town on family matters); she wore not a parka, brought not a fish; she did bring pleasant company & a rawhide toy for Gusta to chew on (gone already - it did not last)

brought me a book to chew on; the card said 'some pursue happiness, others create it'; thanks p-b

Mark
342,148

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?