Friday, July 21, 2006

 

Friday July 21, 2006 - Year 4, Day 122 - he never skated

12C/54F, stiff breeze, sunshine; Gusta chased a rabbit & tried to engage that b&w border collie in conversation without success; border collie owner smiling - appeared happy – first time I’ve seen that look

he taught me how to skate & how to ride a bike though he never skated & could not ride a bike

he taught me all I ever needed to know long ago, but on some things I am a slow learner; this man taught me a work ethic by example, taught me to treat people well (I will NEVER reach his level) by example, taught me to listen – not by lecture but by example

he never rose to what most people would call greatness or high achievement – so few people beyond his family know what a great man he is

shriveled now by age & a degenerative back this little man with the walker stands very tall

I cannot remember thinking of him as old or growing old when I was young

when I was growing up & even recently (he worked in our business with me until 6 yrs ago) I never thought of him as old; he was always 30 yrs. older than me – that never seemed to change – he never seemed to be getting old or ancient

he was the guy I only got to know once I was grown up & away from home

he was the guy I built a garage with 1 week in Calgary about 30 yrs. ago, he was the guy who
helped me so many weekends when I was building a house west of Edmonton 26 yrs. ago; he was the guy who worked with me in my business for more than 20 yrs; he was the guy who built toy boxes for his grandchildren & always had time when he was needed

he never told me how to act, what to do or how to do anything

instead, he showed me – I got to watch at home & at work, at work & at play

I watched; some things I learned, some I am still studying

he never said no when I asked him for help; there was rarely a need to ask because the help almost always was offered before the request was made

he never skated & could not ride a bike; but he taught me

he had never been a father & grandfather but he learned well & he taught me

he knows how to listen better than anyone I know; he is still teaching me

he never skated on ice, he often skated around issues & around hurting anyone’s feelings; he never shrank from responsibilities though he often took on ones he could have & should have declined – he never learned how to say NO very well; these days he seems to enjoy living a bit vicariously through his son quizzing me for all the details of every adventure, his eyes beaming brightly at every story often seeing special qualities of someone he rarely sees or has never met more clearly than I do

I plan to stop by his place for a little visit before I head out of town but chances are he will be out & about somewhere listening to somebody who needs to talk

HK is 84 today – happy birthday!

Mark
342,004

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?