Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

Thursday June 22, 2006 - Year 4, Day 94 - my whole life

14C/54F, sunny & calm, this morning Gusta further inspected that snarly miniature poodle while his owner gave me dog instructions; NOT the way to get me warmed up even if she was interesting or attractive

my whole life, is divided into the years of being oblivious to the impact of touch (prior to Dec. 7/86) & the remainder; people have touched me - too many to count or remember them all; it seems ones I have had an impact upon grows daily

such good luck makes my whole life whole

my whole life, whole & lively more because of that than any other single reason that comes to mind

yesterday I wrote about touch, encouraged you to touch someone who least expected it from you

who touched you yesterday? who did you touch?

imagine if you did some more of that today, any day or every day

I reached out to some strangers, some new friends, some old ones too & family members; I lost count of the touches, hugs, handshakes, calls & emails; while many were routine that would have happened anyway, but here are a few precious ones:

SN continues to tantalize, fantasize & realize there is maybe something of depth worth digging for between us; exploring on an emotional level is intriguing, risky & tons of fun; I would compare it to spelunking – crawling around in a dark cave without a light, feeling your way along not knowing if stepping into a puddle of muck, on terra-firma or into a fatal crevice fall will come at any moment; scary to explore, scarier yet not to because it could impact my whole life

my whole life might flash before my eyes with fear once & a while

better that than nothing flashing before my eyes

speaking of flashing, one never knows what lurks under a trench coat or rain-slicker; Parka-girl resurfaced proving she has a good mind, great smile & sense of ha+ha suggesting we will have laughs & stories to swap over coffee when she visits Calgary

I am lucky – very lucky – at some of the connections I have made in peculiar ways

I probably comment most on my dating mishaps & muser meetings with women, however the connections the MH & MW & DK in Calgary prove that interesting men are just as interested in reaching out to meet new male friends

reality being that guys are not as comfortable reaching out to make those connections with men as are women, but we are learning to do it better – we need it as much as you do

reaching out to touch someone, yesterday’s theme, has no better example/story than when I attended a workshop on handicapped children’s services in Edmonton [15 or 16 yrs ago I think it was]; while collecting my coat, a tap on my shoulder came from a beautiful blonde with a grin from ear to ear; like an idiot I answered her questions & left without getting her #, but our paths crossed again soon at a school band concert where we learned her son was in my daughter Carla’s class

the next night I made the call - to ask her out; SD turned me down saying she was seeing DA [what are the mathematical odds both DA & I . . each having had successive relationships with RM, would both next pursue SD?]

she said, ‘why can’t be friends, lets do lunch’; we did; a precious friendship was born, the extraordinary mathematically inexplicable small world stuff still boggles my mind; in due course SD became SA – 10 yrs ago today

a great chat with her this morning wishing them many more renewals; SA first said the marriage was going to be like a 5 yr. renewable term policy, today she told me she has converted to whole life

I lost count a long time ago

I lost count how many people I touched, how many touched me

some lightly, some deeply, some for a moment, some for a whole life

Mark
341,700

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?