Saturday, June 24, 2006

 

June 24 Responses

Yes, it is true. There is no way out of the fact of "being," and "being here now in this generation...." I take heart in knowing it is written "...that I was fearfully and wonderfully made, crafted uniquely before the foundation of the world...." LK, Edmonton
. . .
Hi Mark, I am a bookend .. not one of those L shaped gray ones.. or one that looks like an I with feet .. not one that is finely carved of cherry wood or alabaster but one who is made of some substance just called X. I can bend and mold and stand alone. "Burned" my bra and shook the hand of the man from Camelot and remember with gut wrenching clarity the day Camelot was no more .I remember the day the man who said "I have a dream" died on a balcony. Chicago, Watts, Kent State, a brutal senseless war. Letters from friends telling me that other friends were dead, they came home in body bags .. it made me rage, carry placards, have long discussions late into the night... this bookend wore her share of beads, bell bottoms, and a peace sign around my neck. Said cool, far out, that's awesome man. Listened to Simon and G sing about " bridges over troubled waters" and took to heart the words of John Lennon's "imagine". Taught my child to stand for something and herself. No way out? .. don't want out, no way man . . like being this substance called X
. . .
Mark - As I prepare to leave town for a Saskatchewan lake (new trend - go East!), I am in Priddis. I read your note, listen to the redwing blackbirds and friends in the 'late' dawn chorus (7:30 is mid day for them!) and watch a deer bound away. (A small taste of how you get your charge every day. I have not kept current with 'Musings' lately, so I may be outside the latest discussion string!?) Not all is bucolic, however, as, even now, the constant river drone of HWY 22 whooshes below. We live in a mix of new and old; primitive and sophisticated; natural and fabricated; of growing and dying. The world is under the stewardship of the 'boomers' - another thing we inherited. Our job - and we are doing this well - is to introduce new perspectives on how to manage this stewardship. J.F. Kennedy inspired us to consider public office; Nixon made us reconsider. In this case, as in others, the Boomers redefined public leadership. Our public service leaders (philanthropy - Gates family; moral pulse - Bono Vox; volunteerism - Rotary International and its 'Polio Plus' eradication effort) come from within. Were they elected? No. Did they step up? Yes. Our challenge - as Boomers - is to step up while we still can! It will soon be a time to pass the torch. In the meantime, take time to mentor and get to know those that we pass it to. Enjoy what looks to be an amazing week! CD

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?