Friday, June 16, 2006

 

Friday June 16, 2006 - Year 4, Day 88 – broken silence

12C/54F, raining less heavily now, lagoon swollen – bulging really – a muddy waters song cue if there ever was one; golden retriever Gusta distracted by shorebirds – confused by race-walking ones that stay ahead of her without flapping a wing

a golden gem, long time friend-golf buddy & muser, MM coming from Edmonton for a weekend of golf if the weather cooperates

my retriever is a golden, a true gem

this morning, a story about another golden gem:

my Christmas gift came early this year metaphorically in a ‘lump of coal’ message for my stocking

a not yet arranged ‘meeting’ will apparently not be happening, nor will her visit to attend an event in September we had discussed; the title & a few words explained ‘silence is golden’ , why she had not written back to me promptly; frankly I didn’t expect a reply but rather I was expecting a call to meet for a coffee or lunch when she is next in town this July

I learned instead – of assumptions, expectations, consequences & motives extrapolated to where meeting me became a bad idea from her point of view

it was a note from a muser – lovely woman I am sure – who had planned to meet me when she is in Calgary in July; over the last couple of months e-mail swaps & 2 or 3 phone chats led to an interest in meeting

key words in the note were ‘had plans’ – it seems that is off; suggesting, in short, that my comments (light hearted & well intentioned) have caused her to change her mind about meeting me

coming from someone who wanted to meet me in July & who was planning to come to Calgary to attend an event as my guest in September – it seems odd that she ditches on me before we’ve so much as had a cup of coffee; but that is not the ‘golden’ gem

I opened it expecting a ‘hi, how about if we meet for lunch on July XX’ or something like that

‘silence is golden’ was in the re: line

silence allows for one-sided dialogue which is no dialogue at all; nothing golden about that

her note clearly intended to give me a ‘not ever will I meet you because of the kind of person you are’ smack-down simply because I had implied more than enjoying a cup of coffee together in an e-mail

given her last volley sending me a picture of her in a bulky parka holding a fish I thought levity was her game

I guess not, but that is not the ‘golden gem’

most of all, the reason I am sharing this story, is that she gave me a complement one could only wish for

in a world where motives, truth & plain disclosure of thoughts is so elusive, where truth telling is what so many people seek yet so few do it

no one ever said this to me before – but I really like the sentiment

it is golden

it could not be more clear or validating

she wrote these words: your motives come across loud and clear

I cannot imagine – in dealing with anyone about anything – that I want my motives to be anything other than ones which come across loud & clear

fishermen in parkas will speak of the big one that got away; this one did not get hooked but left a golden gem behind

thanks, it was golden

Mark
341,844

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?