Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

Thursday May 18, 2006 - Year 4, Day 59 - facets

16C/61F, overcast, steady westerly breeze, ribbon of blue in the west as a Chinook arch seems to hold up the sky like a large beam, a ribbon of gold along east horizon as the sun wakes up; yesterday’s daytime heat produced a glorious summertime evening, still very warm this morning as Gusta & I walked around the lagoon

our toastmasters club ‘1st anniversary of our club chartering’ celebration; wonderful time had by all, pot-luck dinner party @ DD’s house last night

SM posed a question, it caught me by surprise – it deserved thought & here is the answer:

her query – about a contrast between me, the guy they know in person, vis-à-vis the guy who muses in the morning

my answer - coins have two sides, hexagons six, people probably just as many or more

the serious side has its place; so too, does the outrageous & playful side

I can be reserved, or, without reservations; I can be serious or abandon all seriousness to be playful - I’m not deep & dark, but neither am I shallow

yet, I can go for a cheap laugh, a silly moment as easily as anyone

musings is me, most often, being serious & thinking aloud about things that might matter – sharing them with an audience made up largely of people I don’t know & may likely never meet

sense of ha+ha exhibited among friends does not go away when my demeanor needs to be more serious in a business setting, postured for a story telling ‘voice’ & style tailored to the message depending on circumstances & audience & subject matter or just plain different because of my mood, because of how I am feeling – it seems emotionally it is easier sometimes to spill out onto a computer screen in a quiet room than it is in a room full of people; sometimes that group situation brings out the childhood class clown behaviour as a buffer, as a coping with being, deep down, a genuinely shy person who perversely likes it in the limelight as much as anyone I know

there are elements of my upbringing in that equation – not often explored, not always liked, not always easy, not always a side of me I like to reveal – but there nonetheless

some days I have a strong message to deliver, some times a sad one . .

musings can be me, being silly, being subtle or being way off the mark

some days, like today, a quick one because I have to go to a meeting

Mark
342,540

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?