Saturday, May 27, 2006

 

Saturday May 27, 2006 - Year 4, Day 68 - too much

4C/39F [coolest place in Canada this morning], raining; raindrops hitting leaves, leaves spilling blobs of water to the forest floor & occasional cracking twigs as critters move out of our sight somewhere were all we heard - the park in drizzle mode as Gusta scattered the flock of Robins grazing at the earthworm buffet laid out on the paved path this morning

clouds & soggy tourists everywhere, but the prime rib sandwich at Melissa’s Misteak was worth the trip to Banff yesterday

low clouds obscured most that was worth seeing; I plan to ship my guest & her rain back to the wet coast Monday evening

I’ve learned this past year, driven home by my experiences with Toastmasters where doing it is a requirement, that nothing should escape evaluation

if I take that view to other aspects of my life & business practice, I find everything becomes clearer through evaluation

if I don’t evaluate it, if I don’t examine myself, who will ?

habit is that thing I use to avoid examination; habit, evaluation’s evil rationalizing passive-aggressive companion

habits, those things we have been comfortable with for a long time bring no guarantee of validity because they are comfortable; some were sound thinking once, but times have changed requiring a different approach; others were just plain dumb from the beginning – those are the toughest to see because habit made them permanent, comfortable & routine without ever examining validity, purpose, quality

‘Duration is not a test of truth or falsehood.’ – Anne Morrow Lindbergh

evaluating where I have been, where I am, where I am going - so easy to gloss over, go with the flow, to ‘just be’ or to say I am open to possibilities; rationalizing that something does not warrant scrutiny, is not validation but rather avoidance of evaluation

sipping coffee on a rainy Saturday morning, self-therapy looking out a window, looking inside too

I like where I am, but I know I am too comfortable, too easy, too complacent with myself

too much is habit, too much is routine, too much is comfortable

too many stones remain unturned, too much learning hidden beneath them

I need to examine, evaluate - letting nothing escape

nothing

Mark
342,324

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?