Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

Saturday April 8, 2006 - Year 4, Day 19 - I did it on purpose

5C/41F, awakened by honking geese on the puddle formerly known as a lagoon across the road [city crews pulled the plug to make room for run-off] light cloud & calm; we walked late but saw no critter, bird or deer

enjoy the joy

as you grope along in daily life - at tasks, relationships & as you strive for anything – may you enjoy the joy of having a purpose in what you do

let no one say it was an accident, let them say you did it on purpose

do you remember hearing these words growing up: ‘you did it on purpose’ !

never the question, ‘did you do it on purpose ?’, but the accusation . . or worse, the conviction & sentence without trial – convicted of a prank, breaking something or some rule

sometimes some things just need a push; who would have known they would fall down the stairs & smash into a million pieces . . . who would have known that a blonde pony tail dipped in an inkwell would require a haircut ?

for me, remembering those accusations of parent, teacher or older kid – recalling how it was meant to scold or shame for some perceived misdeed of mine

sometimes true, sometimes it just looked that way - early lessons taught that doing something on purpose almost always had consequences

still true !

every day I rest easy knowing that my accounting, laundry & a million things are not in order, but knowing that my life is in order – because I lived my day on purpose

on purpose, for a purpose, with a purpose

if I am at the centre of any discussion, however trivial, however crucial . . please, let it be because of something I did rather than something I did not do

criticized or rewarded - for anything - I never want it to be for something I did without thinking, without action, without sense of purpose, without intent & intensity

as I prepare this weekend for three important & vastly different presentations this coming week, the issue of - ‘living deliberately’ vis-à-vis living accidentally vis-à-vis to just let everyone else & everything else unfold without making any decision – is very much on my mind

each are valid options for different cases, different people, different times

what is the purpose of this thing we are doing, what is your purpose, what purposeful things can we do that will make a difference to this project, this task, this group, your life ?

is your life deliberate ?

are you doing things on purpose ?

it can be fun, it can be hard; it can be work, it can be play; it can be alone, it can be in a group

maybe one day, if my kids choose to put my remains in the ground somewhere, a headstone will say ‘he did it on purpose & it ALWAYS had consequences’

because I do & it does

Mark
342,500

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?