Friday, April 21, 2006

 

Friday April 21, 2006 - Year 4, Day 32 - never met him

6C/43F in south Calgary this morning [high predicted for Maui today is 82F]; chorus of chirp, quack & honk bird alarms welcomes early morning light; walking without Gusta the pace feels strange . . it is mine . . not hers; I miss hers

he found me on my website; just called me up one day about 3 weeks ago to discuss his office space requirements. In only a minute I knew he was a gentle man; he told me he was retired early from leading a major firm - he needed a small office for him & his wife better located near his home than his current shared downtown situation. Both the space & his parking stall needed to be easily accessible by wheel chair as his MS had substantially affected this mobility. We talked about disability issues for quite a while in that first conversation; he seemed very interested in my knowledge of the barrier free issues & needs of someone with MS. He was going to be away for a while so there was only one day that would work so we arranged that day to tour some options. We set the appointment, but when the day came I couldn’t reach him. I called yesterday to follow up, perhaps to reschedule it for when I got back from my trip

I asked for him as the receptionist answered . . . she replied . . ‘Oh, he died.’

his picture was there in yesterday’s obits; I read of a gregarious & full life cut short - I would have liked working with him, knowing him - I just know it

we all have no guarantee of tomorrow or the day after that

no one needs a reason to live fully, it is there for the taking

to be daring, to be imaginative, to be alive & to think lively thoughts – no better reason to live large or to enjoy a vacation

I never met him; his name was David

my plane lifts off at 10:00 . . aloha

Mark
342,188

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?