Thursday, March 02, 2006

 

Thursday Mar. 2, 2006 - Year 3, Day 345 - start your engines

-13C/9F, overcast calm & quiet . . hobbling owner with ice-pack on his foot trails along behind Gusta the sled-dog golden retriever; she pulls so hard & is oblivious to my slow shuffle

when things go well, I always thing it is because I am striving for a goal that I set for myself, measuring it in the context of ‘how am I doing?’

but I wonder, are successes produced because I am accepting of the universe & that by practicing acceptance, I allow that into my life ?

I must be only 1/3rd new age thinker & still 2/3rd bulldog . . I think the work & goal pursuits remain the best way to accomplish things – it motivates me more to work hard, while being more accepting might be more contextual in that it helps me spot the better opportunities more effectively . . not sure . .

‘Man is a goal seeking animal. His life only has meaning if he is reaching out and striving for his goals.’ – Aristotle

this rings so true as if it was written today

I wonder if Aristotle was just brilliant or if we have changed so little since his day ?

2 or 3 of 4 thousand years is really such a short time in the scope of the world we know, but in a day where technology & knowledge are leaping of the charts, where business cycles shorten, when attention spans are so short compared to ‘the good ole days’ it just seems so comforting to look at a simple set of words that are as valid today as they were on the day they were written/said so long ago

I looked around the room at our toastmasters club last night; I am amazed at this great diverse eclectic group we have assembled is such a short time – our ‘glue’ that holds us together is much more than an interest in public speaking, more than ‘what we do on Wednesday nights’ …nor does it resemble a family gathering – it just seems to have elements of all those things . .

I’m annoyed at my hobbling predicament & education in gel-paks & ankle wrapping that were not on my week’s plan

no doubt this middle-aged weekend athlete jumped too vigorously into working out, pulling something painful - it is right beside the OUCH tendon, behind the SORE ankle & above the PAINFUL heel bone – but who would expect a guy who doesn’t floss to actually take time to stretch & warm up ? . . now, if I was on a beach resting, munching on macadamian nuts, that might ease the pain

my goal du jour is to return a rental vehicle & to get my car from the shop & start my new engine

vrrrrrooom . . . .

Mark
342,488

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?