Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Wednesday Jan. 18, 2006 - Year 3, Day 303 – a new friend

1C/34F, mild, calm, dark . . Gusta was not happy with the short walk this morning; she’ll get more later

more & more I find spontaneous actions, comments & steps I take are best when I don’t take a long time second guessing an instinctive decision

if people are good, I have a sense of that quickly

if ideas make sense, they rarely come disguised

when I took more time, vacillated, debated & wondered ‘why am I doing this?’ more, did I make better choices ? . . or did I rationalize my choices

did I check them against my gut-meter ?

these choices are everywhere

who to meet, who to call, when & where to pitch an idea; which call to return first, which news item to read vs. which one to ignore, which idea to debate, which comment requires ‘explain that to me more deeply please?’, which elements of the daily noise to tune out, which to focus upon

I used to think that I reacted & acted without sufficient deliberation

when just a few seconds of deliberation would help; sometimes I fail to take the time to recognize the potential consequences of my actions

I used to think that was a shortcoming I needed to correct

while I still make mistakes in priority setting & errors in judgment about things that don’t matter much – I think the volume of choices is just as important as my percentage of success

what I am getting far better at is a new chapter in choice making

seeing long term strategy more clearly; not to suggest I am clairvoyant or wise, but having both the short term immediate issues in clear focus while at the same time seeing where today’s choices might take me; when it is my vision I measure it against my gut

the choice that seem to be mattering more & more are less about initiatives, transactions & this month’s results . . . more about the people I choose as friends, choose as clients, choose as collaborators . . . those are getting better

I met MW yesterday; lunch & conversation

I made a new friend

as Bogie said, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship

a new friend might be just around your corner, are you watching ? will you notice the opportunity or let it get away ?

gotta run . . .

Mark
342,520

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?