Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

January 8 Responses

Mark: Interesting musings - Since a comment made to me on Friday, I have been toying with the idea of using some of my holiday time to volunteer my time and skills (e.g. Habitat for Humanity). Your musings have given me another push in that direction. Now I just have to decide where my plan will take me., AW, Calgary
. . .
each 1 of us to take on responsibility for 6 billion of us ? Oooh, What a loaded question! Calling all mystics, for it is a mystical, alchemical equation that lets one of us take responsibility that ultimately benefits all 6 billion of us. I volunteered for that job. The miracles worked by acting locally, doing good and doing well in our own families and communities, really does help those coping with desperate conditions in other parts of the world. I have been awed by the ability of people to take good care of themselves in the face extreme hardship given self-determination, a peacefulenvironment, and access to resources respectfully offered. Thank you for thereminder of my personal wealth, and for the picture of the raven. Did it sayGrock? it was a raven :o) CS, Hope, Maine
. . .
What a timely question, Mark. I have been having some deep conversations and emails with a professor in Boise, Idaho, who is an expert on entrepreneurs who make the world a better place....At his suggestion I checked out an organization on the web called Ashoka and encourage you to take a look....I felt so hopeful that this is just one example of how anyone can be involved in the grassroots of creating change all over the world.... I was so inspired! It isn't just the Gates or the big icons who impact poverty, ignorance, oppression....it's all us fortunate little people, who simply pose questions like you did. Thanks.... , SW, Coeur d'Alene Idaho
. . .
Could be a raven, don't you remember, I told you how to tell the difference ??? different symbol for the day , with different meanings. Good morning Mark :) , IA, Post Falls Idaho
. . .
As a new year begins, and so many ponder the reason for life, the real meaning is found in being kind to you neighbor, and helping those in need. With every snap of Bono's fingers, representing another persons life passing, you stand on your soapbox and cry it out for the whole world to hear. , HF, Calgary
. . .
I find myself torn between personal and community (defined micro or macro)responsibility. I believe that only those who desire change can achieve change. While change can certainly be thrust upon us, only our personal choices can make that change a positive or negative. Only individual perspective will determine events of change to be anything but neutral. I find myself gripped in change (and pending change, and desire for change). My response thus far has been simply in sadness and ennui. However, once I am able to accept change, my response to it will necessarily improve. And with the acceptance and a kinder, gentler outlook, I can potentially be an inspiration of change for others. But in the end, those who we observe and judge as needing change can only effect change themselves. Regardless of what the "haves" provide (be it money, spiritual connection, freedom, or what-have-you), the "have-nots" alone are the agents of change. And that only occurs with the right mix of realistic outlooks, acceptance of reality, and willingness to adopt new worldviews. To bring it back to your query, I think that those who "have" best serve themselves by making it their responsibility to "do these things that need doing", but only the "have-nots" can sustain it, and only by their distinctchoice to do so. , JS, Calgary
. . .
RE: best before; Don't know if you are a reader, but on the subject of life and death you might try "How, Then, Shall We Live?" by Wayne Muller. A good book for gaining some additional perspective on best before dates., AB, ?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?