Thursday, December 15, 2005

 

Thursday Dec. 15, 2005 - Year 3, Day 270 – seriously

[sent from internet café, Jasper Ave & 112 St. in Edmonton]

-13C in north Edmonton this morning, Gusta found north Edmonton rabbits interesting; sky clear with a huge moon at the top of the night sky; mild weather for here this time of year, but frosty compared to recent days in Calgary

tis the season for ‘seasoned greetings’; buying a paper this morning I saw Sonny M – a reminder that a 2 block walk in Edmonton produces multiple encounters with people I know or recognize, while 2 hours in downtown Calgary produces sore feet

I had a good, albeit short visit with MM last night; love the soft water + got time to have an infamous Eva massage last night – I’m ready for anything the day brings my adrenaline level is subsiding a little; some housekeeping items on ‘the big proposal’ before delivery here today, then I am headed home . . . not enough time to see so many people . . next time !

on CBC radio last night – a group of women commenting on a book of compiled essays by men [their husbands were some of they essayists] . .I found it interesting, given recent experiences, that they commented about how much they enjoyed the insights and ‘typical self-indulgence’; I was offended ! on behalf of the male species I must protest this injustice

men are not self-indulgent as a group/class any more than women are not; the discussion was amusing though, but I gathered their view [gawd, women writers speaking with one voice!] seemed to be that women can be serious writers while their view is that men can be humourous writers with moments of serious clarity

seriously, I am serious

seriously, I am not funny

I’d like to be funny, too often I mistake telling an old bad joke for a funny-bone moment

I’d like to be serious, but a rogue sense of bad-joke-itis invades, remnant of juvenile insecure behaviour I’ve been unable to restrain for the last 40 years, but I think I am making progress

seriously

I think men want to be taken seriously by women, but often we try to inject humour [lame attempt at empathy]
there, CBC & Edmonton weather conspire to make me serious

really

Mark
342,216

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?