Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Sunday Dec. 11, 2005 - Year 3, Day 266 - ink on paper

4C/39F, mild & sunny, snow mostly gone; my mind on project du jour, I scarcely noticed the scenery as we walked this morning . . calm & restful though

a clever phrase, an extra ounce of effort, a gallon of sweat, a fresh idea - what makes REAL difference? I’ve worked on home-run successes before, most memorable worthy ones involving education facility projects where helping kids succeed was the raison d’etre

it was the reason, it was the reward

project proposals litter my shelves, a mix of win & lose, product of weeks littered with all-nighters only to finish way too far back in the pack to matter - or in the final 3

final home stretch writing/editing wrestle, 1 more day till printing; it weighs heavily

huge win or disappointing ‘though worthy’ effort awaits

for me . . another win or near miss . .

but for a town seeking to alter its future by winning this project – more than a contest to win, place or show

to win makes the future change; failure, not an option

sleepy little town in inevitable decline, the future ordinary; or profoundly changed future, affecting unborn children of unborn children

my task - coordination, orchestration, writing, presentation, argument . . a task for a fee

more than play spin-doctor with good material I need to capture the dream, paint the picture, tug at hearts while proving my case with facts & argument

facts are good, arguments are better . . . then there is politics . . always a variable one cannot control

if I write well we win

a town will see its landscape change, opportunities of a community for generations altered - I’ve been working on this for two months, but the magnitude of it just hit me - more than I imagined

ink on paper is easy, impression on a mind . . . harder

To LE: random acts connect people, the words of one person may impact the world of someone else – you know what an impact one person’s energy can have on another; may you get a slice of humanity sent your way; may you send some of yours to us too once in a while

Mark
342,312

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?