Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

Tuesday Nov. 1, 2005 - Year 3, Day 225 - order maintained

I’m really well rested this morning – amazing what good sleep does, recharged; 0C / 32 F, wisps of cloud fail to obscure the stars, Halloween decoration remnants dot the neighbourhood landscape, a single engine plane’s drone is the only sound above Gusta’s panting – the weather that precise spot where water freezes/thaws . . she tests the delicate coat of ice on a puddle, her weight pushing through

routine gets things done for me, my days full of schedules & lists & the change of direction in a day’s activity that can happen each time the phone rings – the routine keeps me steady, gets the day to day necessities taken care of . . . pushing through with things too easily left aside

I’m off to Edmonton early for meetings there today & back tonight

it’s the uniqueness of the people involved each time are the butterscotch ripple in business that is often pure vanilla – otherwise the elements of my work deal largely with execution of transactions, each one not that unique from many others . . . pushing through, pushing on gets it done every time

then sometimes . . yesterday’s meeting & another one today being great examples . . . extraordinary things get started, get better, get figured out . . with all the smart kids in the sandbox, it is so much fun to play

we get to collaborate in invention; my team & their team together figuring out something that has not been done before – where only an extraordinary result will do, where going beyond the extraordinary is where everyone’s mind is focused – pushing through the routine, pushing through convention . . looking for the wisdom that would elude us if we did not try so hard & engage the minds of so many really incredible people

“ I never did anything worth doing by accident; nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work.” – Thomas Alva Edison

“ Too often we forget that genius, too, depends upon the data within its reach, that even Archimedes could not have devised Edison’s inventions.” – Ernest Dimnet

compelling need, extraordinary solution, interesting clever people & teamwork – a recipe I like a lot; following our meeting yesterday an interesting chat with KB as she explained how an interior design background prepared her for a career in accounting - described as ‘maintaining order’ in things . . . I liked that

maybe I’ll change my thinking about routine . . . to ‘maintaining order’

Mark
342,272

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?