Thursday, October 13, 2005

 

Thursday Oct. 13, 2005 - Year 3, Day 206 - worth borrowing

the dark quiet punctuated only by our own footsteps & breathing, we walked @ 6 AM; strong breeze, 8C/46F , the constellations watching over us, we are ants in the universe – so insignificantly tiny

when it comes to Judaism, my knowledge is limited – so my comments are based on my understanding & reading more than from personal exposure to these practices:

whatever one’s belief system might be, I think there is a lot to be learned from today

today is Yom Kippur or ‘Day of Atonement’, the 10th & most significant day of the religious celebration which begins with Rosh Hashanah for followers of Judaism which ends today at nightfall

by not mentioning the religious observance elements with which I am not familiar I mean no disrespect to it . . . but there are some elements I like to borrow

from time to time I like their practice of fasting, not working, being private and focusing on reflection, focusing on their relationship with their beliefs, dealing with deeds gone wrong in a process which puts them behind you which is really quite remarkable – but then again, probably not that unusual for highly observant members of other religious groups who have special days on similar themes

I like the ‘separate yourself from the busy material world for a day’ concept, I like the practice of spending time in private reflection & thought, I like the formalizing a reminder to make amends for actions that deserve remedy, that deserve deliberate steps to make right, that deserve humility in facing personal failings . . . I like that a lot, it strikes me as being right up there with ‘the most important things’

for me, my day comes later in the year – I don’t observe a religious process or ceremony, but I take time to be alone with my thoughts . . . for me it is Dec. 7 because that date is significant for me, but I am sure the practice makes sense on an day that one can take the time, chooses to take the time to get together with one’s conscience in a quiet place to think

I’ve been busier this week than most, some new things & some old ones coming back to life – new business from unexpected sources, something I thought long dead coming back to life so I have a busy day ahead . . . 3 meetings, a luncheon, an interview & lots of writing, I’ll take a day to reflect, but not today

Mark
342,728

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?