Friday, October 28, 2005

 

October 28 responses

Mark, I wish you all the best in your foray into politics. With your insight and wisdom, I know you'll be very successful. Take care., TJ
. . .
Mark your timing is impeccable - all week this topic has been cropping up! I have been reading articles, books and listening to Deepak (via audio) and the convergence point is "what REALLY are your desires"? This is the extra push I needed to sit down and noodle it through. Thanks for your inspiration. I have NO idea how I got on this list!, klk
. . .
Hi Mark, Glad to hear you're going to attempt to clean up local politics. I'm sureyou'll think me terribly pedantic but I have to pick you up on your phraseology. The term "to beg the question" does not mean to prompt a line of enquiry. I quote the absolute authority on this: Robert H. Thouless in his handy little book "Straight and Crooked Thinking." now sadly out of print. I read it when I was 18 as a prelude to my university studies as I was worried that I would open my mouth and reveal myself to be a provincial hick. The sleeve notes tell us that "intellectual honesty is not necessarily incompatible with public speaking". I'm sure that lies behind all that you aim to say. Anyway begging the question means to assume what has to be proved in any given case without clearly defining it. eg: Are those people who profess to be Christians but drink or get divorced or are gay really Christians? If you say no, you are begging the question. In which case, what IS a Christian? (no need to answer, this is just a hypothetical example). If you say yes, your definition of a Christian is a more all-encompassing and probably more realistic one to define a complex group of complex people. I would recommend anyone to search the second hand bookstores for this book. It's extremely detailed and a tough read but it will really sharpen your mental and verbal skills. I still use it all the time to throw my detractors into disarray. However since you asked us, I don't know what success looks like because it's an abstract noun. Thouless has some intriguing stuff to say on that too. xxx from Shelagh, SK
. . .
You might be interested in Jack Canfield's book "the Success Principles” -- How to get from where you are to where you want to be" and another book that just makes you think deeper is Jon Kabat-Zinn's book "Wherever You go There You Are". I love to read motivational books, especially those that have a message of change that, with the spirit of open-mindedness, may bring about a positive result for me. Whether it be a more peaceful attitude, a better understanding of why I've done some of the things I've done or opening me up to new ideas, perspectives and concepts, it's all worth the effort to me. Have a great weekend!, cc
. . .
Hi. I understand your challenges regarding all the inner and outer hoops and loops necessary to take on this wonder-full life! And about honouring past important people in our lives! Yes, that shows up regularly in all our lives! My impulses are playing havoc with me as I prepare to caretake my mother and my aunt at the end of November. My formidable Ma's body is falling apart and my dear aunt's mind is!!! And of course they are two women who teach me where I could be or may be, with or without my attention to care taking self. Although I do 'get' that caretaking our inner and outer world gives us more of an opportunity to age grace-fully. Time and experience will reveal the truth about that! I truly felt fed facilitating a 4 week series in October. Now I am looking to feed and be fed in other ways during in November. We may run a daylong Saturday November 19th ! Since the need appears to be there, all we can do is ful-fill a need huh? Warmly, LM
. . .
Mark interesting lists you made up, interesting in what is missing, where is your spiritual renewal ? I ask not only as a Christian but as a curiosity to why its missed out.? SUZY SF
. . .
Great BLOG you've put together here... I hope you keep it going, it's pretty interesting., GD
. . .
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!, anon

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?