Friday, October 21, 2005

 

Friday Oct. 21, 2005 - Year 3, Day 214 – crisp clear

amazing science, a very small temperature drop lets us really see the dew – otherwise liquid & unnoticed, but when there is a heavy coat of frost on a windshield we notice; when it is a crust of frost on a lawn, Gusta notices, plowing it up on her nose clearly enjoying weather her coat is designed; no snow . . yet, but -5C / 23 F crisp calm clear means its time for togue & mittens

hot coffee, a bagel, smoked salmon cream cheese & morning; the day’s work sits in front of me; much to do . . . need to prep. for a weekend of accounting work I’ve put off way too long

nothing can be more crisp & clear than strong words from someone you don’t want to disappoint; when we are young it is teachers & parents, when we get out in the work world it’s a boss or lover or spouse

when we get older, it is our children we don’t want to disappoint; perhaps naively I’ve never expected that to happen to me, but it has – with the impact feeling a bit like that time I realized my parents weren’t as smart & perfect & all-knowing as I thought they were

but it has

the message crisp & clear

sorry

it’s fixable & I’ll fix it

funny thing about fixing things

sometimes they are never quite the same after

I’ve not had this experience before, but I’ve been on the other side of a similar conversation; I see it clearly now

I cannot remember the quote exactly, from Fowles’ ‘The Magu’ . . something like this:
“To arrive back at the point where you started and to know that place for the first time.”


Mark
342,536

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?