Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

Thursday Sept. 29, 2005 - Year 3, Day 192 - we will talk on the way

moon obscured by cloud, early dark quiet calm stillness – silently we walked as Evergreen sleeps, a balmy +10C; an incredibly tranquil start to the day, but . . . my mind is somewhere else

yesterday was full, ending with an Oktoberfest [seems like it should be called Septemberfest !] function followed by our Toastmaster’s club’s first ever speech contest; lots of fun - I finished 2nd congrats to EC for winning & everyone else for competing admirably . . on to area contest next week, but . . . my mind is somewhere else

this day unfolds like many others weaving errands, appointments & touring buildings with a new client, meeting a new client, many calls, a lunch function, correspondence & reading . . . but . . . my mind is somewhere else

for most of my 54 years I’ve mostly taken my dad for granted – always there when I need him, always there when I don’t . . just always there; some days when I call him several times without catching him, without a returned call I find my wanders to the world of the ‘what if’s’; what if something happened, what if he fell & cannot reach the phone ? etc. . . but then he calls to tell his tales of where he’s been & what he’s been up to

I talk to him daily; we talk from as little as 30 seconds to as much as an hour, but I never take him for granted anymore . . . he knows I am busy & often have little time to connect; it’s something we both crave daily . . . both feel we’ve missed something when we don’t

my dad [HK] is having minor plumbing repairs done today; while any surgery is ‘not minor’ at 83, it is simply having some after-market parts replaced – he should be home by mid afternoon

gotta go - need to drive an old guy to the hospital; we spoke very briefly yesterday - we will talk on the way

Mark
342,064

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?