Friday, September 09, 2005

 

September 9 responses

Mark, Can you pass this on to AR, please.AR,Thanks for taking the time to write. You're obviously someone who thinks about the way of things. I doubt we are really at odds, but...My horse... high? Hmm. So short, in fact, is my pony that my feet drag in the mud.... and I cannot recall ever having painted a single North American or European with any brush, let alone the same brush. Had that been my aim, I would have used a roller. Quite frankly, I count many of the West's social achievements among the greatest achievements of humankind and I recognize that men and women worthy of immense respect and admiration are behind those achievements. The writing you responded to was not meant as criticism of Western culture as much as it was an expression of my sadness at its current direction. Sadly, the generalizations in my writing only reflect my lack of writing skills. But to address your criticism, AR... I don't feel holier than thou... I don't feel holy at all. Mostly, I feel wholly unholy and quite full of holes. I have perfected imperfection. I am a fully flawed, barely functioning human fugitive and you can ignore my lonely voice if you wish. I'm quite used to being ignored... I'm married. My only goal in life is to see my children grow up as healthy as possible (note that I don't say 'happy'). I don't think any of us is entitled to 'happiness' per se... though if we find it, we ought to rejoice in it. And therein, lies my point.... Somewhere along the way, many N. Americans and Europeans (and increasingly the wealthy in developing nations) have wrapped ourselves with a shroud of entitlement... a perception that we are guaranteed health, security and happiness. We ignore the fact that life is precarious, lived on a razor's edge, that it could end in an instant... in uncountable, unfathomable ways. We have somehow lulled ourselves into a stuporous dream of our own importance when really we aren't much more than random flotsam tossed on the currents of time. Look at modern Western society. People demand respect and dignity... without giving much back. The concept that respect is earned is fading into memory. Watch kids crossing the street. Many seldom bother to meet drivers' eyes, fully expecting them to stop... trusting their very lives to some divine exemption from harm. A sense of entitlement has infected them. I will cannot be hurt because I deserve... I deserve. I deserve. I don't begrudge a healthy lifestyle to anyone. But does that mean golfing on flawless greens stewed in chemicals? Does it require two... three cars, snowmobiles, quads, winter flights to Mexico, and 48' plasma TVs? Does it call for $150 running shoes for 10-year-olds... cellphones that take pictures... DVD players in the back seat? What is comfortable... and what... in the contrasting face of overwhelming global poverty... is obscene? A billion-and-a-half people on the Indian sub-continent... a billion-and-a-half Chinese... more in Africa... do we ask them not to aspire to our version of 'comfort'... or do they have the right to the same two cars, air-conditioning, central heating and freezers big and powerful enough to store a cow? If my thoughts bothered you... on a personal level, I apologize. I don't doubt you live your life honestly, with dignity and do your part to better the planet (you're work for clean water in Africa is more than I have ever done). Anyone who makes a conscious choice to better their family, their community and works for a greater, common good--on whatever level--has my admiration. I never intended to say otherwise or to sound as if I begrudge life's pleasures. From the saddle of my puny steed... MYOVOGBWY (may your own version of God be with you) WM
. . .
My first born is also 27, and I am filled with pride and tears as I think of him as a man, a husband, and soon to be father, creating a powerful life for himself and his beloved family. More so since I know the journey he has taken to get here in his young life, my role seems small in his accomplishments. Congratulations on a job well done, Mark! CS (aka Carla)
. . .
It's so nice to hear a gentleman reflect on and value his investment in his children. How lucky they are to have had you in their lives. I have two beautiful grandchildren who live across the street ~ and my husband and I adore them and spend time each day with them. What a joy! I enjoy your daily musings - it puts a nice perspective on what is important ~ and I share your thoughts. LBK, Palm Desert, Ca.

Comments:
##KEYWORD

Hi Blogger

After reading a good blog I tend to analyze it to see what the person behind it might be like.

I've been in the goal setting business a while now and just like most people with experience in different areas of expertise, I can tell a lot about a person just by speaking to them or reading something they've written.

You haven't wrtten any goals on paper for awhile have you? And if you have I'll bet you haven't looked at them for a long time. Right?

Goal setting is hard work, and harder still if you don't have short range goals, mid range goals and long range goals.

I think you'll agree that few people really take the time to set goals of any kind.

When is the last time you really thought about setting some real goals, or are you like the vast majority of people who just "hope for the best"?

You already know successful people aren't "just lucky", they know how to set effective goals and reach them.

I was like that once, you might be also.

How about changing all that.

Come on over to goals+ and learn exactly how to set effective goals, act on them and be the real you.

There's a ton of FREE information and who knows, this little insert in your blog might well change your life!

Happy New Year!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?