Thursday, August 18, 2005

 

Thursday Aug. 18, 2005 - Year 3, Day 151 - thanks Chuck

there they stood, sentinels on adjacent vacant lots, rigid, motionless, ears erect, tails still; 2 deer watched all, while wonder puppy romped along obliviously; 7C this morning under clearing skies, seasonal weather is returning

I love it - every morning creating a sets of words, then sent to 4500+ of you; knowing my words are read, sometimes appreciated, valued or thought about is a something that makes me proud, makes me happy more days than not, helps me grow & improve which, in a small yet very significant way, entered a new chapter last night

I chaired our Toastmasters meeting; as Chuck introduced me using material from these musings – the experience of having my words read aloud in public by someone else – was a new & surprising experience

I’ve been introduced to groups many times, but this was new . . . this was different

strange at first, then it felt great & humbling all at the same time; thanks Chuck for giving me this new experience, a new feeling to observe in myself

the 2 deer this morning remind me that watching & listening skills – seen everywhere in nature are survival; it is watching for risks & predators, it is scouting for food, it is caring for young – it is dating & mating too . . it is everywhere in natural selection, finding & eating healthy food, getting lots of exercise, staying safe through watching & listening acutely

we can learn so much from these critters

so I am wondering, do we watch & listen very well ?

I watch & listen better than I used to

this morning as I watched those deer I was reminded that, while I am improving my skills observing others, I tend to observe myself less than might be prudent

I observe myself when convenient or flattering to do so

I observe myself when I like what I see, when I am proud of what I hear

BUT, when my motives might not be as pure, when my methods might be expedient or lazy or contrived I observe less . . . or not at all

hhmmm

observing . . . watching & listening

Mark
342,052

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?