Friday, August 19, 2005

 

August 19 responses

Hi Mark, it's been some time since we last talked. I've been really busy building our business and plan to revisit my home town of Calgary in the next few weeks. But I wanted to share something that I thought was really sad the other day. I took my family to the Astros game that was sold out. They gave away Astros lunch boxes to all the kids .. little did they know that most of the adults wanted the lunch kits and not the kids. I got mine... Yes!! ... but we didn't have tickets, so I crawled around the outskirts of Minute Maid Park (ex-Enron Field) and found a scalper who was glad to use me as a cash machine for 3 outfield tickets. I had no choice but to dispense the cash in quest of obtaining one of the Astros lunch boxes. We eventually found our way to the seating area only to find that my ticket was reserved for the handicap seats which are always located behind a set of normal bleacher seating areas. This was not uncommon as the usher informed me and proceeded to find me a chair to sit on since I wasn't wheeled in on one of my own. Well, I sat next to poor fellow in a wheel chair that is a seasons ticket holder and an Astros and baseball nut. He had a spinal condition that has relegated him to a wheelchair .. but the nicest guy I've talked too in years. It was sad, though, that the seats next to him were occupied by a bunch of insensitive baboons that looked at him like he was a lepper or, worse yet, second class citizen. He knew he was being treated that way and I asked him if it was common, he shed a small tear and said "all the time ... and it's not like I was born like this either" .... we shared good laughs, he 'stood' in line at the beer and pretzel stand and bought me my fair share of suds as I did for him. He was more normal than anyone I've met in years. For all you people out there who may feel a bit uncomfortable sitting next to someone less fortunate than us 'healthy' people, give that person some time ... you'll be pleasantly greeted with great conversation and great times. Have a wonderful weekend. In Houston, JT
. . .
pls take me off your list for now, spending too much time away from Calgary setting up university house in Lethbridge..... , RM
. . .
Hey, let me tell you that I am sorry that I missed your birthday. You are on my calendar, but like the rest of my life, my intentions are good, but I just am not very organized. Thought about you though. I am not up to date on my musings so I hope things are going well for you. Xo, AS

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?