Tuesday, July 05, 2005

 

Tuesday July 5, 2005 - Year 3, Day 107 - something good

[a note about responses: I often find in conversation with some of you that you have insightful & interesting things to say, yet you don’t often hit ‘reply’ to share those thoughts with me & with the group – something I would encourage you to do; please & thanks !]
. . .
+17C, sunny, light breeze
. . .
Gusta’s spurts of energy interrupted only by stops for stick hunting in the tall grass; my walk was unsettling – this was a day I wanted to just saunter, relax & clear my head
. . .
that was not to be
. . .
whether complex business venture, research, academic pursuit or athletic triumph; few things are more gripping to see in action than the loss of freedom, loss of mobility & loss of choice that is the reality of people as they lose functioning . . . & more obviously for most of us, for people with disabilities – something I have seen many times over 26 + years involved in advocacy work for people with physical & developmental disabilities
. . .
when I see someone paralyzed in a motorized wheelchair you might see someone completely absent of abilities, choices & independence
. . .
I learned to see people who possess enormous strength, resolve & determination to make even the smallest of decisions
. . .
to take the opportunity to boldly say or do something, anything . . whatever they can to assert their independence is incredibly important & deserves respect, deserves to be revered
. . .
whether in the John Callahan cartoons I love so much or when I see seeing someone blow into a mouth control to drive their chair – I appreciate how much that independence means, how treasured it is especially when it is all you have
. . .
in conversation with a friend who is watching someone she loves in palliative care - it was hard for me to think of any argument otherwise yesterday when I heard this phrase:
‘nothing good comes from this’
. . .
in that moment I wanted to say something comforting to my friend who, between smiles, is in a cruel form of despair daily – nothing more cruel I can imagine than what she must witness sitting vigil with someone she loves dearly wasting & waiting
. . .
waiting for inevitabilities to unfold, watching daily agony of robust life reduced to carcass, waiting for bodily functions to fail
. . .
comforting words escaped me
. . .
is there something good ? anything at all ?
. . .
the finality & cruel indignity of existing until you die, all intervention fruitless – watching the clock tick, waiting
. . .
in the US yesterday was independence day
. . .
for each of us everywhere today & every day is independence day
. . .
someone lived their life fully, robustly & with passions – made choices, pleased some, displeased others – was his own man !
. . .
the choices left in the waning days might be few; milk or juice ? see this friend or relative ? . . or not ? take this pill . . . or not . . . or not – freedom to make some choices, however few
. . .
so much of what we do is based on initiative, drive, desire & choices
. . .
Nike invites us to ‘just do it !’
. . .
make a tiny choice today – appreciate that for many people, that is the only kind of choice they can make . . . help me show my friend that ‘something good comes from this’
. . .
Mark
343,208

Note to readers: to respond, just scroll down to fill in your comments

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?