Tuesday, July 26, 2005

 

Tuesday July 26, 2005 - Year 3, Day 128 - disrupt your day

8C, clear & crisp with lots of deep grass dew soaked Gusta’s coat; morning mosquitoes abating a little or maybe they overslept

caffeine deprived, some mornings my walk is a mindless wakeup exercise, but not today

today I needed a tape recorder & pad & pen

learning how to do things differently is my daily challenge; I rely more on routine than innovation, more on ‘how I do things’ than exploring new ones

I love it when I do, often surprising myself more than others with the results; but I resist those disruptions, the creative opportunity that goes with the fleeting thought, the email or phone call or sentence just read . . . . or writ . .

my life, built around so many routines, is an eclectic mixture of compensating devices for the erratic pace of activity, results & opportunities that are de-rigueur in my line of work

when those routines are disrupted by things outside ‘the normal type of disruptions’ [which would make them normal & routine I suppose] I find it disconcerting – at least in the moment – for a moment or two – then the ‘unexpected thing’ has a slight chance to produce learning, thought, new experience, growth

learning, thought, new experience, growth – what a concept !

but rarely, I think

more often than not, I let the opportunity & learning in that idea, that moment, that disruption get away . . . never to be seen or heard from again

more often I tend to deal with that anomaly – treat it as ‘anomaly’, dispensing with it as quickly as I can so I can return to our ‘normal’ way of things

the way of things . . . or rather, accepting things as they are, is certainly indicative of how I raised . . . or maybe it was more a product of the times in which I was raised

disruption, disruptive technologies, disrupting business practices – these are terms we hear bandied about all the time because they are ‘out there’ near the leading edge, or as some would say, the bleeding edge – but this is where the great new things, the fresh ideas and the totally new ways of doing things, the cool new products where we all say ‘why didn’t I think of that, it makes so much sense?’

disruption – in the moment – can be harsh; but growth, interesting ideas, successful ventures ALL need some of that . . .

maybe it is just me ? . . I know I need that

mark’s advice du jour:

allow a disruption to send you in a new direction – don’t predict which disruption, don’t pick when, don’t have an expectation of where it will take you, don’t resist where it takes you

. . . . why not take this opportunity with THE VERY NEXT DISRUPTION that comes your way; stop, be calm, avoid reacting, set aside all other thought for a minute to focus on the disruption – observe where the disruption might take you; if one path, then follow, if several, just pick one

can you wait to see what happens when you embrace your disruption today ?

I expect my first one any moment now – each day there are many; c’mon, go ahead, try it

be prepared to experience a change in where you are headed – perhaps a life altering change – go ahead, it is your day to live so live it with a sparkle in your eye; OK, so maybe it will only be something that alters your morning, but just think – it could be something that alters your life

if you can, have an after dinner romp – then you will have a sparkle in your eye tomorrow too

go ahead, disrupt my day ! . . . are you feeling lucky ?

Mark
342,704

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?