Thursday, July 21, 2005

 

Thursday July 21, 2005 - Year 3, Day 123 - if I could just be ½ as nice

+11C, cloudy, light breeze; my morning walk part physical workout, part ‘organize compartments of my brain’, organize my day, clear yesterday’s cobwebs, put my smile on straight; I’ve come to be dependent upon it, need it . . can’t live without it !
interesting experience late yesterday; ‘acting’ in a role play for people training to be mediators; my part was fun to play – it was over earlier than expected so I was able to make my toastmasters meeting after all; good to get back - the two week break was too long !

habits, routines, regular practices, head down-butt up, working hard, relentless; so important, so vital to me when chaos whirls; things I do, things I manage to never let slip away no matter how busy it gets – I learned these things a long time ago – as I learned them again yesterday, coming in a million little silent lessons, my entire 53 years of lessons

he’s never lectured me, ever; I’m a better father because of his example, I’m a better man because of him; I’ve inherited genes, behaviours & baldness; I’ve inherited [maybe it was osmosis !] the work ethic, personal responsibility, strong independent streak

a year ago I saw him so frustrated having just given up the ultimate independence tool – driving; accepting loss of that, accepting help, asking for help . . new things for him; he has found, I think, since he has let more of the world in, let more people help that his stubborn pride is not impacted at all . . except maybe he is just a little less stubborn, but only a little

he has a brace on his right leg now to keep him from stumbling that he didn’t have a year ago, he uses his walker a lot more, cane all the rest of the time, recognizes he is just not steady on his feet without them; he’s not using his scooter as much as he could

hearing aids are new too in the last year; we spend more time than we used to, we talk more openly than we ever have, I think we both appreciate the quality of the time

to those of you who are recent additions to this list, you may not know who HK is: HK is Hubert, HK is my dad, HK is my best friend, HK is 83 today

he’s taught me to accept help, taught me to give love, taught me how to be a man; he never did it with a speech, or a lecture . . not ever . . just by his own example

now . . . if I could just be ½ as nice a guy & smile ½ as often . .

happy birthday !

Mark
342,824

responses invited – scroll down to fill in your comments

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?