Sunday, July 17, 2005

 

Sunday July 17, 2005 - Year 3, Day 119 - on the other hand

+13C, partly cloudy, stiff breeze; our walk provided a surprise encounter with 2 deer in someone’s driveway– not sure if they were lost of just forgot which day is garbage day
. . .
refreshed & ready to greet my day/evening of work, a day that will be interrupted by some golf on TV & lunch with my dad
. . .
so which is the good advice & how can we tell it from the bad advice ?
. . .
on the other hand, does it matter, since we ignore it anyway ?
. . .
sometimes people ask me for it – lately I find myself asking for it more often; I wonder if in seeking advice my tendency is to seek validation for what I want to do rather than being to embrace some truly new ideas
. . .
if the advice matches my intentions I consider it good advice
. . .
on the other hand, if the advice doesn’t match my intentions – do I really take the advice to heart or simply rationalize why that person doesn’t really understand my situation ?
. . .
on the other hand, isn’t it interesting – we live in a world of books, courses, lectures, TV shows & many more books; an industry in fact of ‘self help’ where we have access to advice upon advice upon advice
. . .
do we take it ?
. . .
Harry Truman had a saying I used & passed along often when my kids were growing up;
“I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.”
. . .
I tried, they did, results were favorable
. . .
I look back on my history of taking [or not] of advice; usually I take it like fowl cough medicine – I swallow because I have to, know it is good for me but hate every thing about it
. . .
Mark
342,920

responses invited – scroll down to fill in your comments

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?