Monday, May 23, 2005

 

more May 23 response

Mark, Hi from from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho! I've never responded to any of your musings, but I thought I'd fire off a brief observation, which has changed my life in countless ways as I've gotten older, (is 50's old)? Our problem, as C.S. Lewis said, is not that we desire too much, but that we desire too little. Our appetites are not too big; they're too small. Desire was given to us as a good and holy gift. The most important mission is to bring our heart along in our life's journey....it all turns on what we do with desire. It takes courage to push off the beach and launch out into the deep, where our truest desires and deepest passions are restored. Post my divorce four years ago, after 30 years of marriage, I quit my private counseling practice, and took off on an adventure which hasn't ended. It seemed irrational desire, but has turned out to have restored my youthful free spirit, zest for life, exuberance, curiosity, and most of all a fearless passion. Travel around the world, living in hostels in Europe, staying in Oaxaca southern Mexico for a month, meeting new people, exciting men and women who have taught me so much, juicy, vibrant, original thinkers, risk takers, these are the sort of folks I love to be around now! Young people invite me to hang out with them to share my stories, wisdom, wit and most of all FUN! So, Mark....all this to say you touched a chord. Fondly, SW

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?