Friday, May 20, 2005

 

more May 20 response

Coincidentally, or not, I began reading Melody Beattie's book entitled, "Choices", on the bus ride in this morning. (MB also authored "Codependent No More".) What's it about - very first sentence: "When you figure out the secret to absolute control in every situation while maintaining mental wholeness, I would love to know," a woman said to me one day. That's what this book is about: how to take control of our lives without going subtly or profoundly insane." So, Mark, when I read your sentiments about "the whiner" and "the victim" and then the Serenity Prayer, it immediately brought to mind what Melody Beattie said on the subject. Quote: "It's easy to suggest 'Get a grip', 'Don't be a victim', 'There's a reason things happen' when the problem happens to someone else. Harder when we're the one feeling afraid, guilty, angry, hurt, bewildered, staring our loss and emotions in the face." Unquote. And, following are more quotes from and practically the entire first chapter of this book, in case you (or your readers?) have an interest in reading more of it or her work. Personally, I'm hooked. 'Am all for reading the rest of "Choices" and for remembering that I don't have to act the way I feel! I wanted to give you something back. I so very much enjoy reading and pondering what you write, KJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?