Monday, May 23, 2005

 

May 23, Year 3, Day 64 irrational desire musing

+4C this morning, clear, stiff breeze, going to +16C
. . .
Gusta had a good romp through the neighborhood this morning, everyone sleeping in I suppose, enjoying the holiday; too late for deer watching . . when we walked last night we got very close to doe & fawn . . amazingly Gusta sat silently still - mesmerized
. . .
I’ve been pondering ‘how important is desire?’
. . .
these quotes got my attention:
‘It belongs to the imperfection of everything human that man can only attain his desire by passing through its opposite.’ – Soren Kierkegaard
- - - -
‘We never desire strongly, what we desire rationally.’ – Francois de La Rochefoucauld
. . .
is that true, I wonder, that we need to experience the opposite of our desires in order to achieve them ? . . if so I have some impecunious memories . . . some strife-in-marriage memories . . . some business failures in my past . . so, if Kierkegaard is correct maybe I am well prepared for their opposite ??
. . .
I’ve done so many rational things in my life, the irrational is having increasing appeal . . . or were those rationalizations ?
. . .
great golf yesterday with AW & her friends @ Rivers Edge - very windy but worth every one of 97 strokes – my cart rolled into the drink . . it came out intact & wet . . those golf shoes are now mudders!
. . .
calmer today – an afternoon round at Elbow Springs awaits me, my cart & my other shoes
. . .
have a great Victoria day
. . .
Mark
343,240

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?